Global Affairs Canada is seeking one (1) consultant, with significant expertise in public health with a focus on reproductive,maternal, newborn, and child health (RMNCH). In Nigeria, this refers to expertise in sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), reduction in the burden of key diseases and harmful practices affecting women’s and children’s health, health system strengthening, gender equality and women’s empowerment and rights.
Global Affairs Canada’s international development mission is to lead Canada’s international effort in poverty alleviation and humanitarian assistance in line with Canada’s new Feminist International Assistance Policy. Through the High Commission of Canada to Nigeria, Global Affairs Canada is seeking consultants to provide technical assistance and advisory services for the monitoring of its development programming in Nigeria for a period of 6 months (approx. Sept. 2017 to March 2018).
- Post-graduate degree from an accredited, recognized institution in a relevant discipline such as public health, global health, women’s health, health systems administration, international development or another related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience working on international development projects focussing on RMNCH, including sexual and reproductive health (SRH), health system strengthening, human resources for health, reducing the burden of key diseases and harmful practices affecting women and children.
- Demonstrated experience of 5 years or more providing advice, including drafting briefing notes, sectoral analyses, and monitoring and assessment reports for senior decision makers in donor agencies, government or civil society organizations or private sector. Samples of work to be supplied upon request.
- Demonstrated experience in performing monitoring and/or external evaluation.
- Prior experience with donor funding and donor approaches to RMNCH and SRH, health system strengthening, reducing the burden of key diseases and harmful practices, preferably for the Government of Canada.
- Significant experience in the following thematic/sectoral subject matters: Public Health, RMNCH, SRHR, Adolescent Health, Gender Equality, Health System Strengthening.
- Knowledge of Nigeria’s health system at federal, state and local government level including knowledge of Nigeria’s health strategies, plans and flagship programs.
- Knowledge of results-based management (RBM) including the function of the logic model (LM) and performance measurement frameworks (PMF), and theories of change
- Knowledge of development implementation issues and challenges to achieving project results
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills
- Demonstrated skill in time management and delivery of finalised reports/deliverables by deadline
- Ability to arrange and undertake travel to northern areas of Nigeria in potentially security-compromised contexts
Level of Effort
The level of effort is anticipated at up to 140 days, from signature of contract until March 31st, 2018. This includes travel within Nigeria, production of various reports, presentations, and analyses related to project contexts, sectors, and progress towards results. The intensity of work will be variable, with periods of heightened activity followed by periods of relatively low levels of activity. The specific scheduling of work will be agreed upon in the workplan developed by the successful candidate and approved by Global Affairs Canada.
Click here to apply and know more about the opportunity